Scotland’s east coast has a lot to offer. Up and down the coast, there are fairytale castles and vast sandy beaches, colourful lighthouses and quaint harbour towns, beautiful hiking areas and lots of habitat for Scottish wildlife.
Where should I go on the east coast of Scotland?
10 Awesome Days Out in East Scotland
- Bass Rock. …
- The Islands of East Lothian. …
- Gullane and East Lothian Beaches. …
- Dunnottar Castle. …
- New Slains Castle and Cruden Bay. …
- Elie and The Fife Coastal Path. …
- Tentsmuir Sands. …
- Glamis Castle.
Which coast of Scotland is best?
12 of the best beaches in Scotland
- 01 St Ninian’s Isle, Shetland. …
- 02 Tolsta Beach, Isle of Lewis. …
- 03 Luskentyre Sands & Seilebost Beach, Isle of Harris. …
- 04 East Beach at Lossiemouth, Moray. …
- 05 Aberdeen Beach. …
- 06 Rockcliffe Beach, near Dalbeattie. …
- 07 Coldingham Bay, Eyemouth. …
- 08 West Sands Beach, St Andrews.
Is east or west Scotland better?
Both have beautiful coastlines, castles full of Scottish history, great food and towering mountains. But they each have a different charm; the west is rugged and dramatic, often with the moody skies to match. The east is quieter and prettier with more chance of seeing the sun shine.
What should you avoid in Scotland?
What Not To Do In Scotland: 21 Things You Should Avoid on Your Trip To Scotland
- Don’t Claim to Be Scottish.
- Don’t Do a Stupid Scottish Accent.
- Don’t Ask Endless Questions About Money.
- Don’t Prioritize Loch Ness.
- Don’t Tell People That the Loch Ness Monster Doesn’t Exist.
- Don’t Expect Good Weather.
- Don’t Just Visit Edinburgh.
Where is the nicest place to live in Scotland?
A seaside town has been named as the best place to live in Scotland.
In ranked order, the complete list is:
- North Berwick, East Lothian (Winner)
- Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire.
- Broughty Ferry, Tayside.
- Dennistoun, Glasgow.
- Dunkeld, Perth and Kinross.
- Isle of Eigg.
- Melrose, the Borders.
- Portobello, Edinburgh.
What is the most popular holiday in Scotland?
Traditional Scottish Celebrations and Festivals
- All Souls Day – 2nd November. …
- Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night – 5th November. …
- Martinmas – 11th November. …
- St Andrew’s Day – 30th November. …
- Sowans Nicht – Christmas Eve. …
- Christmas – 25th December. …
- Boxing Day – 26th December. …
- Hogmanay – New Year’s Eve, 31st December.
Can you swim in the ocean in Scotland?
You can swim in the sea, but not in a beach…..
Where are the white sand beaches in Scotland?
Camusdarach beach, Morar
On the West coast of Scotland, north of Fort William and a few miles from Morar, you’ll find Camusdarach. Famous for its stunning silver sands and crystal clear turquoise water – and also the film Local Hero – the beach has shallow water to paddle in and views out to the Isle of Skye.
Where in Scotland is Dalbeattie?
Dalbeattie is known as the Granite Town of South West Scotland and sits in the Urr Valley, about 15 miles from Dumfries. Dalbeattie was established in the 1790s as a planned town beside the water-power of the Dalbeattie Burn and thrived on granite that was extracted from local quarries and exported across the country.
Is Scotland in the west or east?
Scotland is the second largest country in Great Britain. It is bordered on the west and north by the Atlantic Ocean; on the east by the North Sea and on the south by England. Area: 78,789 sq km (30,420 sq miles) including the islands.
Is Edinburgh West or East Scotland?
Edinburgh is Scotland’s second-most populous city and the seventh-most populous city in the United Kingdom. … Edinburgh lies at the heart of the Edinburgh and South East Scotland city region comprising East Lothian, Edinburgh, Fife, Midlothian, Scottish Borders and West Lothian.
Is Inverness on the east coast of Scotland?
Inverness, the Capital City and administrative centre of the Highlands, is located at the mouth of the River Ness on the east coast of Northern Scotland.
What is considered rude in Scotland?
In conversation, the Scots tend to downplay hand gestures and other physical expressions. Keep your hands out of your pockets when standing and walking, as this is considered impolite. … Some people around you may ask you questions, however you should limit any “small talk” which may be disturbing to others.
How do Scots say hello?
Scots is considered a separate language from Scottish English and from the English of England, and is recognised as such by the Scottish and UK governments.
Useful Scots phrases.
|English||Scots Leid (Scots)|
|Hello (General greeting)||Hullo|
|How are you?||Whit like? Whit like are ye? Hoo are ye? Hou’r ye? Hoo’s it gaun? How ye daein?|
What is the most dangerous city in Scotland?
Glasgow’s gritty reputation that you may have heard of still remains intact. It has the most crime and violent crime per population in Scotland and it doesn’t look like that is going to change anytime soon. Government figures show there are 72 crimes in Glasgow for every thousand people.